Purpose and scope
The TAP conference is devoted to the convergence of proofs and tests. It combines ideas from both sides for the advancement of software quality.
To prove the correctness of a program is to demonstrate, through impeccable mathematical techniques, that it has no bugs; to test a program is to run it with the expectation of discovering bugs. The two techniques seem contradictory: if you have proved your program, it's fruitless to comb it for bugs; and if you are testing it, that is surely a sign that you have given up on any hope to prove its correctness.
Accordingly, proofs and tests have, since the onset of software engineering research, been pursued by distinct communities using rather different techniques and tools.
And yet the development of both approaches leads to the discovery of common issues and to the realization that each may need the other. The emergence of model checking has been one of the first signs that contradiction may yield to complementarity, but in the past few years an increasing number of research efforts have encountered the need for combining proofs and tests, dropping earlier dogmatic views of incompatibility and taking instead the best of what each of these software engineering domains has to offer.
The conference will include a mix of invited and submitted presentation, and a generous allocation of panels and informal discussions.
The proceedings are available at: http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-3-642-30472-9/
The contents of previous TAP proceedings are available at: http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/conf/tap/
The program chairs are organizing a special issue of the Software Testing, Verification and Reliability, published by Wiley, dedicated to the topics of the TAP conference series. A preliminary version of the call for papers for this special issue can be found here.
- TAP 2011, the Fith International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Zurich, Switzerland, June 30 - July 01, 2011
- TAP 2010, the Fourth International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Malaga, Spain, July 1-2, 2010
- TAP 2009, the Third International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Zurich, Switzerland, July 2-3, 2009
- TAP 2008, the Second International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Prato, Italy, April 9-11, 2008
- TAP 2007, the First International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Zurich, Switzerland, February 12-14, 2007